There are many scriptures that cover this subject for believers and the list is a little long but each of them tells us who we are in Christ.
- You are His special possession (1 Peter 2:9, Deut. 14:2)
- You are chosen, picked by God Who created everything (Jeremiah 1:5, Eph. 1:3-4)
- You are treasured (Deut. 7:6, 14:2, 26:18)
- You are irreplaceable (1Thess. 1:4)
- You are loved (1John 4:19, 4:10, 3:16, Rom. 5:8, 8:35-39)
- You are worth dying for (John 3:16, Rom. 5: 7-9)
- You are forgiven (Eph. 1:7, 1 John 1:9)
- You are His child (1 John 3:1, Gal. 3:26)
- You are secure (2 Cor. 1:22, John 10: 28-29)
- You are set free (Rom. 6:18, Gal. 5:1)
- You are precious to Him (Isaiah 43:4)
- You have been set apart (John 15:16-19, 1 Pet. 2:9)
Why do I go to the trouble of listing all of these for you? Because it is needed and necessary. Because if anyone is in Christ He is a new creation and you need to know where you fit into His Kingdom. You can’t learn this in Sunday school and many churches don’t teach this to new believers, they just baptize them and put them on the roll for the numbers.
The problem is that most of us never hear about our identity in Christ until many years down the road and we really need to hear it as soon as we are brought into the family of God. The church has dropped the ball, so to speak, in the decades since prayer was taken out of schools and we truly need to pick it up before it is too late. In some areas of our country, it may already be too late.
We have our salvation when we believe in Jesus as our Savior and repent of our sins but we need to be taught about Him and our identity in Him because the more we know about Him, the better we will know Him. In many religions, your identity is in the religion itself but our identity falls in two places. One of those places is that you can claim your Christian identity as a follower of Jesus but your real identity is a bit deeper than that if you are planning on growing into your faith which all of us are expected to do. We aren’t supposed to remain as “babes in Christ”.
If you are a new Christian or if you are curious about becoming one, look these scriptures up online or in a Bible if you have one. Read them and ask God to show Himself to you and show you His love for you because it is found in every Scripture that is listed above. Let me know how it goes and keep seeking because you will find your answers in Jesus Christ.